Friday, August 1, 2008

running obsession.

So lately I feel like I've been married to my running shoes. Seriously, its bad. My WHOLE schedule revolves around running. I've been training for a marathon since the beginning of June. But this obsession started before then. I started running when I first went away to college so I wouldn't get fat. I started out by just doing about 2 miles a day a few times a week. That was 3 years ago. Slowly it has built up. By the time November of 2007 rolled around I was running between 5-7 miles a day, six days a week. It was an obsession. An unhealthy obsession. I HAD to run everyday or I couldn't live with myself. Seriously, I had the hardest time justifying eating ANYTHING if I didn't do AT LEAST 5 miles. And I was grouchy...very grouchy if I didn't get my running in. My running slowed down slightly in January and February when my IT band and bursitis started giving me trouble in my hip. Physical therapy took care of that. By the time March rolled around I was running again...just like before.
Finally in May, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I wanted to run a marathon. With all this running I was doing I might as well train for one, right? So here I am...sitting, trying to build up the courage to actually sign up. I ran the 16 mile run this week and it just about killed me. Could I really have gone 10.2 more miles? I don't know. I don't care. I'm doing it. I'm doing it. I'm signing up right now.
There is one good thing that has come out of this training already. It has cured me of my running obsession. After this marathon is over, I don't think I'll ever want to run again.

0 comments: